This short story will be your HOME READING ASSIGNMENT. In the light of what we've been reading in class, making comments and analysing... CHOOSE (at least) 5 questions from the set below and answer them.
- What is the THEME of the story? (Reread what we discussed in class, c.f "The Sniper")
- Connect the story to your own experiences: have you ever had any experience similar to what the author describes?
- Define these key terms (you MAY use a monolingual dictionary)
- CULTURE CLASH
- CULTURE SHOCK
- Why do you think the author has chosen to write in the second person narrative?
- What is the story saying about the migrant experience?
- None of the characters in the story is named. Why?
- Explain what the narrator means by “white people who liked Africa too much and those who liked Africa too little were the same –condescending”.
- What contributes to the narrator’s feelings of not belonging and her sense of alienation?
- To what extent do the characters in the story have options, choices and free will?
- List the stereotypes that abound in this story.