To read the POEM here
- Sense of longing for the homeland and sadness for the lack of brotherhood.
- Racism due to skin colour, lack of respect for the beliefs they hold, prohibition of free expression.
- Fixed gender roles in which women must be submissive to men’s imposition of power. Children forced to behave as adults either by working or going to war. Violation of their rights to play and have fun according to their age.
- Deforestation for economic reasons in collusion with the local government, forcing people to leave their lands.
- Empathy(Putting yourself into someone else’s shoes). Political instability, climate change, disrespect, prejudices, discrimination, affect our lifestyle and may compel us to leave.
- The uncontrollable forces of nature sometimes make people seek shelter in other geographical areas.
- Persecution for holding different ideologies place people in life threatening circumstances.
- Coexisting parallel realities, one image sold to the outside world while the dirt is swept under the carpet.
- Deprivation of both the sense of belonging and the sense of self.
- Suddenness of the possibility of becoming a refugee. After all aren’t refugees immigrants seeking better opportunities? Don’t we all descend from immigrants or their crossbreeding with natives?